Sunday, December 14, 2008

Coachella

With the imminence of a new year, I have recently been musing over this past one; 'tis the season right. Honestly, I reflect semi-normally about my life and probably would not feel comfortable attaching my name publicly to the results of this soul-searching, but I do like the idea of having a chance to pontificate about all the awesome things I did this year. So, along that vein, the apex of 2008: Coachella. Not really. That's a bit shallow, as this year has brought rather radical changes (graduation, oregon, a sort of realization regarding the human condition which challenged everything I knew or thought I knew and completely effected me, that sort of thing). But I do want to talk about Coachella, as it was "awesome.

Okay, Coachella is a 3-day inundation of music, modern art, sex and drugs, and American Apparel attire at Empire Polo Field in Indio, California, a couple hours outside of LA in the desert. FYI, I don't want to illicit concerned responses regarding my behavior at such an event, I do refrain from the sex and drugs and much of the American Apparel. I had such a good time, better than I envisioned by far. Thousands of people, hundreds of bands (probably closer to 80 really), 3 tents and 2 stages, 12 pm to 12 am (unless you're Prince and then you play til like 2 in the morning), 3 days in the sun, and 3 nights of camping in the desert. It was incredible, and wait until you see the line-up.

It was so hard to pick who to see, and who to cut, so many good bands. Highlights: Roger Waters, how could he not be. He performed for about 45 minutes of random stuff, old pink floyd songs, new stuff, etc. He sang Pigs and they had this graffitied pig balloon through the crowd, insane. Then they set up, and he did Dark Side of the Moon. Epic. Justice, sure they're a little played, but it was the last set of the weekend, everyone was crammed into the dance tent, feeling good, dancing with anyone, a good time. Kraftwerk, they turned to marionettes while performing robots, very trippy. Aesop Rock, they're as good live as recorded, and I love them, the lyrics, poetry, philosophy. Tegan and Sara quibbling on stage, they are sisters, and talking about sunburned breasts because H&M clothes are cheap. Rilo Kiley. Goldfrapp, she looked like a cult member from the sixties, they sang their hits and were fun. The Ed Banger crew, always fun to dance to, especially with hundreds of other people. MIA...all I wanna do is...pww, pww, pww...and take your money. Prince covering Radiohead, seriously. I could go on for three days worth of memories. Oh, and don't forget the Do Lab and the art, it is a music and arts festival. The Do Lab is a club set up like an Oasis (the show's in the desert) in the middle of the venue (which was huge) with live shows and a DJ all day and night, what an f-ing good time. Coachella '09 countdown: 124 days, oh yeah! I'm going to end this blog with a photo montage of Coachella '08 (I didn't take all these pictures).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Coachella was the best time! A couple of us hitch hiked up from Nogales to get there. We packed so much weed that we were terrified at times about getting busted. Anyway, we got there in one piece. We planned to find people to camp with figuring our weed would pay the "rent". When we went off to get high for the first time there, we figured out that we left the duffle bag full of weed in the back of some dudes pickup somewhere along the way. We were so bummed! Anyway, the festival was still the greatest, even without the dope! I loved it and just might do it again totally straight.

Unknown said...

hell yess, what a montage! truly capturing sssooo many highlights. but the heat, oh the heat!, that one cant possibly comprehend through these pictures, seems to be one of my favorite feelings when it's gone. the musky, smoky heat, like you're standing too close to the bbq but cant just back up to escape. i cant wait